10 December 2014

WHAT IF YOU WERE ME?

We first met on a social site, and grew to be friends,
As we were getting closer, he asked me one day,
Why don’t you upload a picture from the front? All are from the left…
I laughed and said why? Do you think the right side looks different?
He laughed too, period;
Days turned to months and we grew closer by the day…..




We never could meet up; usually I was the one responsible…
One day he asked, can’t we meet even once?
Why? Was my direct question….is it so necessary?
We are friends, does it really matter if we meet or no?
He was a bit sad I understood, but still laughed,
I ignored too, it was useless going, more…dangerous…..



People say boys and girls can rarely be best friends,
They end up falling for each other….it was my biggest fear,
And as all fears come true, this one did too,
That was a Saturday; another one of my most dreaded ones,
We were talking online, when he suddenly said the dreaded words;
Said that he felt he was falling in love with me…..



Shock raced through me like fire in a jungle,
Alongside there was guilt, guilt for letting this happen,
I must have told him everything! It was entirely my fault…..
I decided it was time we met, time he knew it all;
All about that fateful Saturday; another of the congruent ilk…
When my whole globe had changed, all my stupors waned…..



I told him I would be out that day, so we could meet,
He was so happy to hear that at last we were to meet;
But I knew that this was not only the first, but also the last;
At least the last time he would want to meet me…..
I was ready for it, only had become a bit selfish, a bit,
Making this late was my fault…



He was waiting for me anxiously when I went there,
It was winter; my head was covered in a scarf;
As I reached, he was elated;
His love spoke in a dripping refreshing fountain- I had to stop him there;
I smiled took a breath and offered his ever insistent queries a rest;
Why don’t you click a straight photo for me? I will upload that…with that, I pulled my scarf down…..



He stared at me speechless, had to be too,
The right side of my face was after all, indeed different;
Different because it was burnt, different because it was deformed with acid,
Acid that had been spewed on me another hapless Saturday….
He had no words, and I knew the why…it was pain enough to see it,
When seeing itself caused so much pain, how could it be loved?



We didn't need to speak any more; he walked away,
Walked away as I stared at my delusion,
My long evanescence reverie walk away;
Disperse again…My musked clamor screamed; it was not my fault!
What had I done? Refused the hand of the local hoodlum?
Was that erroneous? Then why was I ordained to endure?
Endure all my life…suffer as I subsist…brook all alone…..


This was no new story! I am not alone in this sting,
Colleens have to be comely, have to be slightly,
Have to be covet-able; the person doesn't matter,
We are Fraulein s…garnishes in years; this is our providence,
Its nothing new, this was there, Is there and will be there…
But to all the boys out there I want to ask, what if you were me????
-InfernoSalvo

No comments:

Post a Comment