10 December 2014

THE RED ROSE

We are not destined to be together; not any more,
That’s what he said as he said goodbye,
A pathetic excuse if there was one to say goodbye for ever…..
He had brought a little last gift for me, as a token of memories,
A globe with two dancing figures;
He gave his last gift, and walked away; away from me, from my life…..
It was actually something we had planned years a
go,
Why leave with a bitter thought? So we had decided to if ever part with a gift,
A last gift to each other so that we may look at it and smile someday…
He had chosen to give me the globe, as a symbol of our time together;
I had promised a rose, a red rose at that; I had to be the anarchist;
Rose, a red rose, the symbol of eternal love; to show that I still loved…
He had kept his promise, at least this one; so it was high time I gave mine,
When we had promised these gifts and I had promised the red rose,
He had laughed, at the idea of such a easy and cheap gift,
Yeah, cheap and easily available it was but nevertheless it was my choice of gift;
I had wondered if he would ever understand the significance of the gift,
If he would really consider it cheap when he got it at last…
I walked to a shop to buy my last present, my last specter;
The last rose, the red rose;
I could see clearly in my mind, all the times we had spent together,
Happy with each other, content and blissfully unaware of everyone else;
We had never really contemplated a life without each other, never really thought alone…
It was a hard task to think alone really; I bought my rose, but a white rose for once…
The colors in my life were as white as the rose now; nothing seemed to be left
The sole reason for my survival seemed to have gone missing;
A numb silence in its place…never ending…never ceasing…
I lay there on the soft cushions as the rose grew from white to pink,
Then a deeper shade, another shade deeper and another…
Slowly it grew from white to baby pink, my favorite color, to a deep pink, to…red;
The one I had promised sat in front of my eyes; reddened by the drops of my blood...
The rose was red now, all the blood in my body was out,
A smile crept up my lips with every drop that seeped out of the cut I had made on my wrist,
And my cheap, easily available gift was ready at last, in time for delivery;
Only he would have to take it himself, ghosts after all don’t do courier service;
Body was lifeless and I doubt the police would be so accommodating;
My spirit…it was long dead wasn’t it? The instant I got my gift, it had only left my body now,
With this last, Red Rose…..
-InfernoSalvo

No comments:

Post a Comment